INAUGURATION OF ANTI- CORRUPTION AND TRANSPARENCY UNIT UNIVERSITY OF BENIN ON THE 12TH 0F APRIL 2016 AT THE ICPC ZONAL OFFICE, EDO STATE
The above ceremony took place on the 12th of April 2016 at the ICPC zonal office, Edo – state. Dignitaries present include ICPC Zonal commissioner, ICPC Staff, ACTU members of University of Benin, Rubber Institute, University of Benin Teaching Hospital, Benin Oil River Basin, Benin Owina River Basin.
In a welcome address by the Zonal Commissioner, he stressed the reason why the inauguration is being held in the Zonal Office as well as why it is a huge success. He emphasized that he had the express permission of the Vice- Chancellor to perform the inauguration ceremony.
In the keynote address of the ICPC State Zonal Commissioner, he reiterated the necessity for the establishment of ACTU in the different agencies and the advantage, which is “an agent of change”.
In a briefing on ACTU by Barr. I. Ofili before the oath taking, he retracted some salient points and highlights on the inauguration of ACTU, which include:
- Upon inauguration of ACTU your tenure commences and it is for three years( from 12th April 2016). There could be a second term but no third tenure.
- Responsibility of every ACTU member is as stated in the standing law i.e Section 6 paragraphs a – f of the ICPC ACT.
- Powers to investigate, monitor and oversea the compliance of upright records, accessing integrity level as well as monitoring of budget implementation and making recommendations to your head of agency.
- No power to prosecute.
After the inauguration ceremony and taking of oath, ACTU members were reminded of their responsibilities and these include:
- Public enlightenment
- Training of ACTU members ( in house training)
- Monthly meetings in which there must be representative from ICPC.
- Submission of annual reports.
In response from various participants, they all thanked and appreciated the new zonal commissioner of ICPC Edo – State and pledged that ACTU would bring a change to their various agencies. The Uniben ACTU Chairman, Prof. Ighoroje appreciated the Zonal Commissioner and all the ICPC Staff for their encouragement and she acknowledged that the task would be a herculean one but was strong belief that if her team works as one and in unity with the grace of God it would achieve great success.
The Zonal Commissioner stressed that ACTU members should investigate any petition, protect your information, suggestions boxes should be setup in strategic areas, fundamental cases should be referred to ICPC and students should be given an opportunity to air their view.